The Australian Women's Weekly magazine. (Gleefully "cutting-edge, occasionally controversial" indeed!!)
Also in the works, based on the overwhelmingly positive feedback that's been coming in after last weekend's nutrition workshop in Hobart, Tasmania (thank you so much to the amazing Mel at Booty for rallying the troops and to all 120+ of you lovely people who attended!).
I'll be planning some more seminars over the coming months. I'm thinking Sydney... obviously... and will also potentially line up gigs in other Aussie cities as well. So for all Australian readers, if you'd like to attend a one-off workshop in your home town and are willing to drag along a bunch of your nearest and dearest (let's uproot old dietary dogma, smash a bunch of food myths and issue some no-nonense nutrition advice for stress-free healthy living, yeah?), shoot me an email so I know that you're keen. And for international followers based in exotic locations... Bora Bora, Maui, The Bahamas... I'm willing to drag myself over your way too so register your interest accordingly.
Just a few topics that we covered in the seminar over the weekend (not an exhaustive list):
- Metabolism 101 - interpreting the signs of low metabolism and taking care of your thyroid
- The importance of minimising 'stress', in all it's various guises
- Relax. It's just food
- Stop drowning your body in water!
- Salt myths and truths
- The dangers of polyunsaturated fats
- Why butter is better!
- Food specifics - protein, carbs and fats in perspective
- Blood sugar basics
- Eating nutrient-dense foods (but not exclusively!)
- Everyone loves to hate on sugar... but our bodies LOVE sugar!
- Knowing when to ease up on the veggies
- Soy milk, protein powders, green smoothies and flax seeds - fuhgeddaboudit... :S
- Biofeedback - tuning in and getting to know to your body
- Why you should potentially eat MORE and exercise LESS
- Intelligent exercise - myths about cardio and endurance training for weight loss
- Losing weight the (only) healthy way - working with your body, not against it
- Croissants are awesome and so is ice cream
- Why the perfect diet isn't conducive to good health
- Why dessert can be a GREAT idea
- Nutrition strategies for a good night's sleep
"That session yesterday was bloody amazing. It's the best thing I've done for myself in years - I feel so much more in control of how to proceed with good health, and Kate was absolutely brilliant to listen to. Not only is she herself a picture of good health, her advice hits the right note deep down inside your gut - it's that feeling you trust that has been previously clouded by incessant incorrect and untrustworthy marketing messages about what we should and shouldn't eat for good health. Finally the clouds have parted."
"Kate you did a terrific job keeping 120 of us listening, concentrating and then thinking for two hours, well done. You were really well prepared and I enjoyed the little stories you told to push a point. It was different to any other talk I have listened to on nutrition; lots of common sense backed by obvious scientific research. There is no doubt in my mind keeping stress levels down is crucial for mental health and long term wellbeing. You are a natural presenter!"
"Just awesome!! Reaffirms some things I already know - eg protein shakes, coconut oil, gelatin, meats, polyunsatured fats but WOW about carb/dairy/salt/sugar in regards to being Pro-Thyroid - I have NEVER in my thyroid journey ever heard anyone refer to the thyroid in nutrition and it was so refreshing!!! Very happy I'll be enjoying some rice and potatoes with BUTTER a little more often now."
Kate is a certified Clinical Nutritionist and offers one-on-one coaching for clients in Sydney Australia, and internationally via Skype or email. Visit the nutrition services page to find out more about private coaching, and be sure to subscribe via email and follow the Nutrition by Nature Facebook page for blog updates, articles, nutrition tips, recipes and special offers.